Sous Chef responsibilities include:
- Develop new menu options based on seasonal changes and customer demand.
- Assist with the preparation and planning of meal designs.
- Ensure that kitchen activities operate in a timely manner.
- Resolve customer problems and concerns personally.
- Monitor and record inventory, and if necessary, order new supplies.
- Provide support to junior kitchen employees with various tasks including line cooking, food preparation, and dish plating.
- Recruit and train new kitchen employees to meet restaurant and kitchen standards.
- Create schedules for kitchen employees and evaluate their performance.
- Adhere to and implement sanitation regulations and safety regulations.
- Manage the kitchen team in the executive chef’s absence.
A sous chef is responsible for planning and managing food preparation in restaurant kitchens. Known as the assistant to the head chef or the head chef’s second in command, these skilled individuals perform a range of duties including planning menus, training new staff, and recording inventory.
- Greet and escort customers to their tables
- Present menu and provide detailed information when asked (e.g. about portions, ingredients or potential food allergies)
- Prepare tables by setting up linens, silverware and glasses
- Inform customers about the day’s specials
- Offer menu recommendations upon request
- Up-sell additional products when appropriate
- Take accurate food and drinks orders, using a POS ordering software,order slips or by memorization
- Check customers’ IDs to ensure they meet minimum age requirements for consumption of alcoholic beverages
- Communicate order details to the Kitchen Staff
- Serve food and drink orders
- Check dishes and kitchenware for cleanliness and presentation and report any problems
- Arrange table settings and maintain a tidy dining area
- Deliver checks and collect bill payments
- Carry dirty plates, glasses and silverware to kitchen for cleaning
- Meet with restaurant staff to review daily specials, changes on the menu and service specifications for reservations (e.g. parties)
- Follow all relevant health department regulations
- Provide excellent customer service to guests
- Bachelor’s degree in culinary science or relevant field.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in a similar role.
- Strong knowledge of cooking methods, kitchen equipment, and best practices.
- Good understanding of MS Office and restaurant software programs.
- Teamwork-oriented with outstanding leadership abilities.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.